Wednesday, 17 October 2012

Weekend Warriors in Japanese Quarters

The line reads: "Eat what is cooked, drink what is clear and say what is true."

Eep! Today is Firu's and my 27th monthversary! That means we've been together for 2 years + 3 months. Oh wow! We did meet in the weekend. Like I said on my last outfit post, I went out to see Firu. He lives in Duisburg now and I have yet to spend time there. It'd only been a week since we last saw each other but I already couldn't wait to see him again. That's just it about boyfriends, I guess? Anyway, we decided to take the train out to Dusseldorf -- which was basically only an hour tram-ride away. It was a spur-of-the-moment thing and we didn't really know what was to see there so we just wandered around almost aimlessly. Firu was ever so ecstatic to find a Häagen Dazs Café there and tried his favourite flavour there.

This less-than-small town is located in the State of North-Rhine Westphalia -- or NRW for short. This is, by far, my most favourite state (Bundesland) of Germany. Why? Basically, because it consists of a number of big, beautiful and cultural cities. I've told you about my trip around this state before, right? Well, that was only a tip of the iceberg. NRW has many, many more beautiful cities, one of which is Dusseldorf. I love walking through the old towns of Germany. They all seem highly cultural and very, very lovely. Especially in NRW, there's the River Rhein streaming through the cities, this one included. So there are boats, offering rides for reasonable prices. We've never gotten on any, though. 

The main reason we decided to up and come here is because we heard it is the Shibuya of Germany. Well, that basically means that the city hosts the largest Japanese population in the country. I don't know whether or not it was true but, at least, there are more Japanese restaurants and stores here than in any parts of Germany that I've seen -- even Berlin! Since we're both fans of the Japanese culture, it wasn't hard to get us hooked. We enjoyed looking at the Japanese quarter of the city and stopped by a Japanese bookstore. There, I bought a Daruma doll. I love those little guys! Then we found this Japanese convenient store and bought takoyaki, complete with the sauce and bonito fish. Oh! We also bought these wretched Japanese lemonade - mine is melon flavour while Firu's is blueberry. They taste rather good even though their packagings are rather tricky. They're perfect for summer so, I guess, we're a little late for lemonades.


Arithalia dress // EXPAND denim top // Primark coat // Pieces scarf // Falke tights // Typo satchel // Studio Nine loafers // Photos by Firu

Before I say anything else, I'd like to apologise to my dad (Dad, if you're reading this...please be reading this!). When I was moving from Halle to Kassel, I sent out boxes. There were a total of five boxes, one of which went missing. Inside the missing box, there are the coat you bought for me, some scarves, my trusty navy jacket and I don't know what else. It's looking like this box will never be found. The DHL people have yet to contact me and...well, I'm not sure what else I'm going to do. Anyway, that's kind of why I bought this coat because I only have one and...well...this one's cute! Haha. There goes my autumn vow. But aside from the coat, nothing else is new in this outfit -- I bought the scarf along with this skirt. I left the dress, tights and top at Firu's for 8 months now and have yet to let them see the light of day until now. This was so sad because this is my favourite dress ever. I love that its structure compliments my form and it doesn't fray or crumple. The pattern is also very versatile for all kinds of seasons. If I ever get the chance, I'm going to make another dress in this exact form.

On Sunday, we went exploring Duisburg. Even though it's not a very famous city, it was a big one and has many interesting sites. I love its market place and how golden everything was. The bird statue up there is supposedly an urban symbol of the place and I find it rather...quirky. They also have a mall with a giant ladder leading to the heaven -- or so I'd like to believe. The Opera House also looks lovely, with these woods resembling Noah's Ark in the making. It was Sunday so naturally everything was closed but I loved taking in the view.

We took the bus to the inner harbour of Duisburg. Even though there is no sea and just the long River Rhein, I still love seeing the boats parked alongside the piers. By the river, there are many restaurants and, not to be missed, Duisburg's Legoland! We didn't go in because it was far too expensive for us. I love this huge Lego giraffe, though. Oh, how I wish I could ride it! On the bridge, there is a long, abandoned railroad that is now, I guess, the bridge itself. I wanted to take pictures on it, even though it's so simple. But there were so many people. Too bad.

Firu didn't know before that there was this weekly farmer's market near the harbour. We went there, following the crowd and found a french fries stall. It served french fries on paper with numerous sauces. We chose the Satay Sauce, because, well, we love satays - as Indonesians do! It tasted a little off. I mean, it's tasty but that was more Batagor sauce than satay, really. Look how happy Firu looked whilst eating them! Afterwards, we walked to the nearest subway station, walking past this lovely ruins-monument. People aren't allowed to walk in. But Firu said the white pillars showed what the house used to look like. Then off we went to Essen for some food. That was our weekend. So rejuvenating and exciting! I can't wait to go back for more adventures. In the meantime, real life starts tomorrow. Happy midweek, guys! Cheerio!

1 comment:

  1. "It'd only been a week since we last saw each other but I already couldn't wait to see him again. That's just it about boyfriends, I guess?" HAKS you got that right.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your kind comment. Please do stop by again soon!